Missing a bright smile: In memory of Sincere Ash

Sincere+Ash%2C+who+will+be+remembered+as+a+caring+and+ambitious+individual%2C+would+have+been+a+senior+this+year.+
Sincere Ash, who will be remembered as a caring and ambitious individual, would have been a senior this year.

By Daniela Ciesielski, Managing Editor

Hearts were broken as students and family heard the news that Sincere Ash, whose smile and personality could brighten anyone’s day, passed away on Aug. 5.

Sincere’s memorial was held on Aug. 12, following a balloon release vigil that was held Aug. 9 on Lane’s lawn.

Students continued to remember Sincere with a moment of silence at this year’s pep rally, as well as at a Varsity Hockey game that was played in his memory on Sept.15.

Mrs. Smith, who teaches AP and honors U.S. History, was able to get to know Sincere while she was his teacher during his sophomore and junior year.

She immediately recognized the drive and ambition that Sincere had in the classroom, as well as the respect that other students had for him.

“He led by example,” Smith said. “He treated people with the utmost respect, and I never felt like he was ever judging someone or looking down on someone. He was very inclusive. He bridged a lot of groups of people to be friends with, and that’s a very unique thing.”

According to Smith, she was not surprised by the support of Sincere’s friends and family members that was demonstrated through the various tributes for Sincere.

“I was so impressed and so proud to be a member of the Lane community and seeing all the students,” Smith said. “It was a great representation of how many friends he had and the support that he had. He touched people’s lives.”

Imani Fleming, Div. 974, met Sincere in her freshman PE class, and they immediately hit it off. They soon became close friends and enjoyed spending time together both in and out of school.

“Sin would come over to my house a lot and we would cook — he really liked to cook,” Fleming said. “We would hang out after school and go to Pi-Hi, we went to Wicker to shop, we had tons of sleepovers, stuff like that.”

Fleming described Sincere as someone who led a life with ambition and purpose, and recognized the many goals and passions that he had in life.  

“Sin was the most selfless, kind hearted and ambitious person that I knew in my life,” Fleming said. “You just always had such a good time when you were with him. He had so many lifelong goals. He loved kids, he was a camp counselor, he worked at a daycare. He was just one of those people that even if you met him once, he would remember one little thing about you.”

Sincere had a passion for dancing and was involved in Polynesian club since his sophomore year. He would have been co-president this year.

Outside of school, Sincere enjoyed babysitting and working at his aunt’s day care in Rogers Park during the summer, as well as spending time with his friends.

Smith said that people will remember Sincere for his gift and ability to reach over boundaries to be friends with all types of groups and people. His warm personality and ability to make anyone feel included and loved left an impact on anyone that knew him.

“I think there was a kindness he treated people with,” Smith said. “I hope others can take that behavior and emulate it, and continue to treat each other like that, and use him as a role model.”

About the Writer
Daniela Ciesielski, Managing Editor

Daniela Ciesielski is currently in her senior year at Lane Tech. This is her 2nd year being part of the Warrior and she is exited to pursue her role as managing editor. Her favorite subjects in school are Journalism and English, and wants to major in Communications in college. Daniela is an officer for Polish Club and is attending her third year within the club. She also plays the violin, an instrument she has played since the age of 5, in the Sinfonietta Orchestra at Lane. In her spare time, she enjoys photography. Daniela also enjoys traveling and in the past has visited places like Italy, Prague, and Poland.

• Missing a bright smile: In memory of Sincere Ash

Features

How did we become number three?

Features

The Captains of Lane Tech

Features

Honoring Hispanic Heritage

Features

Vaping–A Growing Epidemic in Schools

Features

The process of choosing an English book

Features

Letting us in on the joke: Lane’s improv show

• Features

Students use Service Learning Opportunities to Serve their Interests

• Features

Dealing with grief: How to cope with loss

• Features

Inked Up and Tatted: The stories and stigma behind tattoos

• Features

On the road to more success