Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

Photo Courtesy of Cain Camacho/Pogi Studios

By Anahi Mosquera and Daniela Ciesielski

Approximately 100 hundred girls were standing in the stuffy gym, fidgeting with nervous energy as they anxiously waited for their time to shine.

For Emma Godwin, Div. 951, it was time for the next step in her volleyball career. Fighting for a spot on the Girls Volleyball her freshman year was intimidating. Nonetheless, she secured her spot on the freshman team — which would change her whole high school experience.

Godwin was athletic all her life, playing both soccer and basketball from the ages of 6 and 8, respectively. When she began her eighth grade year at Lane, she developed an interest in volleyball, a sport that she had little experience playing.  

Her mom played collegiate volleyball, and wanting to follow in her footsteps, Godwin decided to try out for LTAC Girls Volleyball, which was the first small step in her volleyball career.

Transitioning from the small, nearly no-cut, LTAC team to tryouts freshman year was  overwhelming. Tryouts for high school were much more competitive, according to Godwin.

Godwin was able to secure her spot on the freshman team, where she would develop as a player.

Being on the the high school team was challenging, Godwin said, but also exhilarating.

“Seeing that there were a ton of people that were better than me and getting to play with them and learn from them [was exciting].”  

With hard work and determination, Godwin moved up to Junior Varsity her sophomore year, and eventually to Varsity her junior year. She credits much of her growth as a volleyball player to her various teams.

“I would definitely say I have grown [as a volleyball player],” Godwin said. “What made me grow was playing alongside a ton of people at Lane who are really talented, and getting to learn from them and the coaches I’ve had has been a big help.”

Krissi Poelsterl, Div. 967, has been playing volleyball with Godwin since their freshman year.  Between playing at school, their club team, and beach volleyball, Poelsterl has seen improvements in Godwin’s play.

“She’s definitely one of the most determined and strong willed people on the team,” Poelsterl said. “She’s always looking to better everyone and support everyone. She’s just a strong player all-around and can always bring herself up and bring others up.”

From playing three sports in her youth, to now playing three positions on the Varsity team, Godwin would say that she is unique due to her versatility as a player.

Although Godwin now only plays volleyball, she is happy with her decision to focus on the sport.

“Volleyball was the one [sport] I started to play the latest, so it was new and exciting,” Godwin said. “Also, the culture that surrounds it is very fun, [such as the] long rallies that turn to huge celebrations once someone gets a point. It’s the most fun to me, which is why I stuck with it. It’s basically the main reason I play, because its fun.”

From playing a variety of sports throughout her childhood, Godwin decided to focus solely on Volleyball. This led her to become the well-rounded player she is today, Godwin said.            Photo Courtesy of Cain Camacho/Pogi Studios

As one of the starting seniors at her games, Godwin is given the responsibility of keeping up team morale.

Being a senior on the team also means being a role model and a friend to the younger girls.

“It’s kind of crazy; it doesn’t feel like I’m a senior, but I’m excited to see all the girls and how they grow,” Godwin said. “I can relate to the younger girls because when I first came to Lane I was a little overwhelmed, but volleyball helped me by having friends going into the school year.”

Godwin hopes to pursue volleyball in college as well, but says she will miss being part of the Lane team.

“I’ll miss the girls I play with and getting to play schools like Taft and Whitney. Sports have given me so many life lessons,” Godwin said. “They taught me how to work with others, how to work hard, how to fail, to take chances, to manage my time and to trust others; the list goes on and on.”

About the Writers
Anahi Mosquera, Reporter

Anahi Mosquera is currently a junior at Lane and this is her first year taking journalism. She has always loved writing and considers English her favorite subject. Outside of the classroom, Anahi is a passionate cheerleader here at Lane, and is going on her 6th year of cheer. She was also a dancer for 10 years. Anahi would like to pursue business marketing and cheerleading during college.

Daniela Ciesielski, Managing Editor

Daniela Ciesielski is currently in her senior year at Lane Tech. This is her 2nd year being part of the Warrior and she is exited to pursue her role as managing editor. Her favorite subjects in school are Journalism and English, and wants to major in Communications in college. Daniela is an officer for Polish Club and is attending her third year within the club. She also plays the violin, an instrument she has played since the age of 5, in the Sinfonietta Orchestra at Lane. In her spare time, she enjoys photography. Daniela also enjoys traveling and in the past has visited places like Italy, Prague, and Poland.

• Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

News

Becoming informed and involved: Students participate in midterm elections

• Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

News

To stand or not to stand: Controversy over morning anthem

• Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

Sports

Boys Soccer beats Leyden to advance to Regional Final

• Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

Features

Letting us in on the joke: Lane’s improv show

• Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

News

Students introduce peer math tutoring

• Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

News

Trying a new tradition: Homecoming moved to Saturday

• Features

Dealing with grief: How to cope with loss

• Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

Sports

Football’s first win sets tone for season

• News

Third period lunch added to improve programming

• Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

News

Debaters win Urban Debate National Championship in D.C.

Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin