Football’s first win sets tone for season

Quarterback Chris Nieves hands off the ball to Thomas Jacobs.

By Patricia Abulencia and Maggie Nielsen

Late in the afternoon on Aug. 25, the sun began to set on the field and the stadium lights flickered on. The stands were filled with fans from both teams, who buzzed with excitement eager to watch Lane Tech Varsity football’s first game of the season.

Despite this being his fourth year playing football, Nate Segura, Div. 963, still felt first game jitters. A defensive back, Segura admitted that it wasn’t the best game, but is satisfied with the outcome.

“Football is not just about the ‘bigger, badder’ team,” Segura said. There’s a lot of strategy that goes into football and outsmarting the other team is just as important as physical play, according to Segura.

Rauner had the first possession of the game, but Lane countered with a strong defensive push. After an interception, Lane scored the first touchdown of the game, four minutes into the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Lane fumbled the ball twice and was pushed back to their own 40-yard line, but recovered and worked their way back to Rauner’s 30-yard line. Before the end of the first half, Lane led 14-10.

There were a few points in the game where the teams made simple mistakes; however, Lane was able to recover, according to Assistant Varsity Coach Patrick Czerwiec.

“Just like any first week, there’s always going to be a lot of mistakes, a lot of jitters,” Czerwiec said. “That’s exactly what happened with us, and the same thing with [Rauner].”

During the third and fourth quarters, the game significantly slowed down as both teams made little progress and multiple penalties were called on both teams.

“We have a lot of work ahead of us, lots of work,” Head Coach Anthony Faltin said. “We made a lot of mistakes, lone assignments, lots of penalties, and that stuff will lose the ball game; we got lucky tonight.”

Rauner played very well, and Lane’s win was fortunate, according to Faltin.

By the last quarter, Rauner had a chance to score a go-ahead touchdown, but after a fumble on Rauner’s final play, Lane took their first win 14-12.

Even though it wasn’t the best game, it gave coaches and players a perspective on the upcoming season.

The first game sets the tone for the entire season, according to Segura.

“Physically, we’ve done the work, and that’s evident, but the biggest growth is everyone mentally,” Segura said.

Rauner vs. Lane was the first of nine games the football team has scheduled, and it was the first of five home games.  

The Indians’ next home game is against Calumet-Perspective on Friday, Sept. 7, at 7:15 p.m.

About the Writers
Patricia Abulencia, Sports Editor

Patricia Abulencia is a second-year journalist sports editor at Lane. She has a passion for writing stories which inspired her to join journalism in her junior year. Patricia is advanced and dedicated to academics, and has been playing basketball since freshman year. Patricia loves to travel and has been to Germany, Spain, France, Ireland, the Philippines, Scotland, Japan, the Bahamas, and Hawaii. She understands French and Tagalog. She also loves music and has self-taught herself in four instruments; piano, guitar, clarinet, and ukulele. Patricia enjoys fixing computers and knows how to make her own clothes. She’s very outgoing and spends her free time hiking.

Maggie Nielsen, Editor-in-chief

Maggie Nielsen and has been writing for the Warrior since the fall of 2017. She is the president of Podcast Club, a member of LT Womyn, runs cross country, and plays for the lacrosse team. She enjoys reading, doodling, and eating lots ice cream. She also loves the outdoors and spends as much time as she can hiking, backpacking, and skiing. She has a passion for architecture and art, and spends a lot of her free time at the Art Institute or wandering around Chicago, looking at Louis Sullivan buildings.

• Football’s first win sets tone for season

News

Becoming informed and involved: Students participate in midterm elections

News

To stand or not to stand: Controversy over morning anthem

Sports

Boys Soccer beats Leyden to advance to Regional Final

Features

Letting us in on the joke: Lane’s improv show

News

Students introduce peer math tutoring

Sports

Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

News

Trying a new tradition: Homecoming moved to Saturday

• Features

Dealing with grief: How to cope with loss

• News

Third period lunch added to improve programming

News

Debaters win Urban Debate National Championship in D.C.