Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

Artist+Clara+Mikhail+playing+the+bass.+Mikhail+hopes+to+continue+her+music+career+and+play+in+college.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Clara+Mikhail%29+
Artist Clara Mikhail playing the bass. Mikhail hopes to continue her music career and play in college. (Photo courtesy of Clara Mikhail)

By Sam Sorich, Reporter

As an 8th grader, Clara Mikhail, Div. 890, knew she had a desire to play music. Currently a senior, she is a successful double-bassist in two orchestras outside of school and has been part of Lane’s music department for five years.

“I actually wanted to do bass in 7th grade but they wouldn’t let me,” Mikhail said. “They said that I was too small so I had to do cello instead.”

One of her favorite parts of playing in various orchestras is the feeling of being a part of a group, Mikhail said.

“When you are playing in an orchestra, even if the bass section and the violin section are 30 feet away from each other, you are still connected to that person through the music,” Mikhail said.

Outside of Lane’s music program, Mikhail is in Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra (CYSO) and the Merit School of Music, which is located in Chicago’s West Loop.

Mikhail spends eight hours at the different orchestras on the weekends and free time writing her own music or practicing solos.

“I have written a couple things,” Mikhail said. “I think that comes with being a musician and being creative in that way.”

During her senior year she has also branched out to other artistic outlets, such as acting and singing.

“I was in the musical this year as the ghost — that was really fun,” Mikhail said. “It was just this year that I acted and I am also in choir.”

Mr. Comiskey, the head of stage crew and Mikhail’s sound engineering teacher, witnessed her transition from behind the stage to performing in the play.

“I think she figured she’s already been there for all the musicals, why not try to be in it,” Comiskey said.

Mikhail is also a self motivated musician and student, taking five music classes in her senior year, Comiskey said.

“She understands education isn’t about doing the work, but it’s about actually learning something,” Comiskey said.

Mikhail is also a natural mentor and good at teaching her peers, according to Comiskey.

“She is always ready to step into a leadership role and is not shy about expressing her opinion or trying something new,” Comiskey said.

Mikhail said she has also benefited a lot in the classroom and outside of school due to music.

“I feel like academically, music can help the brain a lot, but also it is a good outlet for emotions that maybe you can’t get out otherwise,” Mikhail said.

She hopes to continue her music career and play in college.

“I think I want to stay in Chicago because the music community here is a lot better than New York,” Mikhail said. “It is still competitive but it’s not cutthroat.”

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

Vegan four course meal

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

Four great study spots around Lane

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

Songwriter Megan Bishop follows her dream

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

Benny’s Chophouse: A meat lover’s dream

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

Crazy for crochet: Winter Art Gallery features ‘Crochet Coral Reef’

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

The Fiddler’s new cut

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

Love in the air

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

Lane playwrights featured at 31st annual Young Playwrights Festival

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

Kołaczki Heaven

• Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail

A & E

CSO brings Music and Beauty to Lane Community

Artist of the issue: Clara Mikhail