New coach, same winners

Coach Molloy talking to her team during a timeout at their game against Dec. 14 against the Shurz Bulldogs.

Photo by Joshua Tarafa

Photo by Joshua Tarafa

By Rafael Martinez, Reporter

As of Dec. 18, the girls basketball team has an overall record of 8-3, with a majority of the wins ending in a double digit lead.

The Indians had a busy first week, as they played four games at the Fenton High School Thanksgiving Basketball Tournament which spanned from Nov. 14 to Nov. 20.

With a new varsity coach, Megan Molloy, the Indians had a strong beginning to their season, winning the tournament after defeating three of their four opponents. If there were to be a tie in the tournament, the winner would be determined by point differential. Lopsided victories over Elgin, 70-27, and Fenton, 73-34, really helped the team stroll to victory.

The team’s only loss was against Addison Trail by a score of 34-33.

The previous varsity coach, Coach Ulmer, is not coaching this year because she was on a maternity leave.

Coach Ulmer is still part of this program,” Molloy said. “She comes to practice and games whenever she can. She loves this sport and team too much to not be part of i‎t and we are grateful for that.”

Molloy has coached for Lane for six years. This is her first year being the head coach at the varsity level.

My first year I started as LTAC and helped out with freshmen,” Molloy said. “Then JV head coach for three years, and assistant for varsity last year.”

For Molloy, the transition from JV to Varsity was not as difficult as it would have been if she was unfamiliar with the program.

“Knowing the girls, program, and coaching staff has been immensely helpful in taking over the program,” Molloy said. “These girls trust me and that’s everything; we all know we have the same goals for this year.”

Building on the trust that the team has had this season is a great advantage. The coach-player trust has helped the team through the season so far, according to guard Rosalia Pimentel, Div. 873.

She’s really helped boost our confidence and trust amongst each other, knowing that we can play with the level of competition in this conference, and I think we’ve shown that through the first few games,” Pimentel said.

Point guard Yesenia Rodriguez, Div. 869, has known Molloy for close to five years. Rodriguez is confident Molloy has a few tips and tricks that can help the team this season.

“She played basketball in college so I think she brings new plays and drills that she ran in college,” Rodriguez said. “Having these at practice can put us ahead of most schools because they don’t get exposed to drills ran at the collegiate level.”

With lots of experience to her name at many levels, Molloy looks to continue to guide the team to victories.

“I know that my basketball experience, even in college, lacked working on my athletic skills,” said Molloy. “Basketball isn’t just ‘X’s and O’s’ you have to be stronger, faster, better. I tell my girls I want them to be complete athletes.”

About the Contributors
Rafael Martinez, Reporter

This is Rafael’s first year working for the Warrior. He is a senior and plays on Lane’s volleyball team. He also plays on a club team. He is the booth monitor for Lane’s Columbian club. In his free time, Rafael likes to play guitar and listen to music. He especially enjoys Spanish music and hip hop, his favorite artist being J Cole.

Emma Loew, Reporter

Emma Loew is a talented photographer who attends Lane Tech and is taking Journalism. She enjoys taking photos of her friends and family, scenic pictures/nature, and food! In her past 3 years at Lane, she has been in NHS, Media Crew, Letterman, and Irish Club. Emma is looking forward to critiquing food as well. Her favorite subject is biology, and she is in Cross Country.

Fun Fact: She’s also fluent in Swedish!

Joshua Tarafa, Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior and a Journalism 2 student here at Lane. I have a strong interest in sports journalism, but have branched out to stories with a variety of topics. I try to focus my time on family, school and sports. Writing has always been an interest of mine and journalism has emerged a possible career path for me. I am proud to be a Cuban-American and a part of such a diverse school.

• New coach, same winners

Sports

Boys Soccer advances from City Playoffs group stages but falls in Quarterfinals

• New coach, same winners

Sports

Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

• New coach, same winners

News

Trying a new tradition: Homecoming moved to Saturday

• Features

Dealing with grief: How to cope with loss

• New coach, same winners

Sports

Football’s first win sets tone for season

• News

Third period lunch added to improve programming

• New coach, same winners

News

Debaters win Urban Debate National Championship in D.C.

• New coach, same winners

A & E

Art Week: five days of fashion and fun

• New coach, same winners

News

LSC approves 2018-2019 school year budget during special May meeting

• New coach, same winners

Sports

Girls Softball comes back to beat Whitney Young 9-7 in CPS championship.

New coach, same winners