Kołaczki Heaven

FOOD REVIEW

Kołaczki from Forest View Bakery.

Kołaczki from Forest View Bakery.

Photo by Sam Schnoes

Photo by Sam Schnoes

Kołaczki from Forest View Bakery.

One of my fondest childhood memories was my mom bringing home kołaczki from Jewel Osco. But I always knew deep down that, while all right, Jewel kołaczki were not the real deal.

So recently, I set out to find some authentic kołaczki.

Forest View Bakery

Walking into Forest View Bakery, the cozy wood panelling and various photos of deer gave the aesthetic of a cozy cabin nestled in the mountains. I was immediately greeted by a young lady and I asked for a mixed batch of 12 kołaczki.

According to TheSpruce.com, kołaczki can be square, diamond-shaped, round, or have all four corners folded toward the middle to make a neat packet. Kołaczki are pastries native to Eastern Europe. The dough can be made with cream cheese, sour cream, ice cream, or yeast.

Fillings can vary, but Forest View had apricot, cheese, raspberry, strawberry, and plum. At $5 for a dozen, I would consider it well worth it. I barely made it to the car before pulling out the plastic container of the powdered sugar coated pastries. I nearly finished them all off, right then and there.

My mom’s Jewel kołaczki, as I suspected, were not even in the same galaxy because they don’t come close to Forest View Bakery’s kołaczki. The combination of powdered sugar, with still-warm dough and jam — I was truly amazed.

Located at 6454 N. Milwaukee Ave., Forest View Bakery is open Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Ideal Bakery

My second bakery was Ideal Bakery. It was just off my usual route from school so I popped in on my way home. It was a cold, wet day, and I had been unusually tired that evening; needless to say, I was ready for a sweet rush.

The dinging of the golden bell above the door announced my presence to the girl waiting at the register. Ideal Bakery gave off more of a traditional bakery vibe, with bread resting on cooling racks and white-tiered cakes on display shelves, waiting to be ordered. I ordered a dozen kołaczki and the register glowed $5.45 in green numbers.

When I got home, I added my own powdered sugar, since there was none. Though they did not have cheese filling like Forest View Bakery, I felt these kołaczki were still amazing.

Ideal Bakery is located at 4765 N. Milwaukee Ave. It is open Monday-Friday 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Winner

Overall, I would have to go with Forest View Bakery. The slightly cheaper price sold me. The many options of jam flavors, combined with powdered sugar, is a sure fire way to make any holiday occasion more festive.

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

Benny’s Chophouse: A meat lover’s dream

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

Crazy for crochet: Winter Art Gallery features ‘Crochet Coral Reef’

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

The Fiddler’s new cut

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

Love in the air

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

Plays written by Lane playwrights performed at the 31st annual Young Playwrights Festival

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

CSO brings Music and Beauty to Lane Community

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

The Q Brothers: an original take on Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol’

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

Wrigley Wonderland

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

Art department hosts its student fall art show

• Kołaczki Heaven

A & E

A trip down Torment Lane

Kołaczki Heaven