Dominant win puts Lane on 3-game win streak

Nicholas+Fazio+inbounding+the+ball+during+last+quarter+of+the+game+against+Marine+Leadership+Academy.+
Nicholas Fazio inbounding the ball during last quarter of the game against Marine Leadership Academy.

Photo by Renato Arteaga

Photo by Renato Arteaga

By Renato Arteaga, Reporter

Boys Basketball pulled off a big 74-32 win over the Marine Leadership Academy. Lane’s hustle, defense, and ability to force turnovers led them to outscore the Bulldogs right from the opening tip-off.

Varsity Assistant Coach Ian Sanchez was very pleased with how the team performed.

“We were sharing the ball well today,” Sanchez said. “We knew, in their zone, we can handle their pressure, so we were very unselfish, and played together as a team offensively.”

Offensively, Marine was shut down, as they were limited to three points in the first quarter. At the end of the first half, Lane led 33-17.

Senior forward Calvin Keyes made a big impact in this blowout win, scoring 12 points and grabbing 9 rebounds on 75 percent field goal shooting.

“We still wanted to keep the foot on the gas pedal,” Keyes said. “We didn’t want to let up because some of the past couple of games we let the team creep back in, but we didn’t want to let them do that.”

Stopping Marine on defense and converting forced turnovers to offensive baskets on the fast break was key for Lane.

“Defensively we were just dialing in,” Sanchez said. “Making them stay out of the paint, forcing shots, and really focusing on our help defense.”

Lane scored 23 points in the third quarter, ending the period with a 33 point lead over the Bulldogs.

“We just wanted to stay in front of our guys,” Keyes said. “We added some pressure towards midway through the first quarter, and it worked, so we stuck with it.”

This is now Lane’s third straight victory as they head into their next game with a 5-2 record against the Taft Eagles who have a record of 2-4. This game will be televised on Friday night 11:00 pm on Dec. 8. by High School Lites on NBCS Chicago.

About the Contributor
Renato Arteaga, Editor-in-Chief

Renato Arteaga is currently a senior at Lane Tech College Prep, where he engages in activities such as dancing salsa for the Organization for Latin American Students and also playing varsity football. Outside of school, he spends his time working at Target and hanging out with his four sisters and three chihuahuas. This is Renato’s second year being part of journalism, after having a spectacular experience.

• Dominant win puts Lane on 3-game win streak

Sports

Boys Soccer advances from City Playoffs group stages but falls in Quarterfinals

Sports

Athlete of the Issue: Emma Godwin

News

Trying a new tradition: Homecoming moved to Saturday

• Features

Dealing with grief: How to cope with loss

Sports

Football’s first win sets tone for season

• News

Third period lunch added to improve programming

News

Debaters win Urban Debate National Championship in D.C.

A & E

Art Week: five days of fashion and fun

News

LSC approves 2018-2019 school year budget during special May meeting

Sports

Girls Softball comes back to beat Whitney Young 9-7 in CPS championship.