The Importance of Spirit

OPINION

OPINION

Seniors in the stands during Pep Rally 2017. (Photo courtesy of Selena Kostic)

Every year, it’s the same. For one week, if anyone were to walk into Lane, they would be met with an astonishing suprise.

Perhaps they would see people parading around in their bedsheets, dressed in laurels, and they may think they accidentally walked into some reenactment of the Lyceum.

Or perhaps they’d stumble into the school and witness students lazily walking in their pajamas, and then proceed to quietly shut the door and turn off the lights as to not disturb them.

If they’re (un)lucky, they may just walk in during a passing period and witness the jungle-esque cacophony that unfolds, with seniors shouting their graduation year and other students coming up with clever, smug responses.

Yes, Spirit Week is an oddity in the realm of education, especially to an outsider looking in.

But what does Spirit Week really do for the school?

“Spirit Week mostly benefits the students because it gets them hyped for school and makes them excited to be super extra,” Nova Gomez, Div. 150, said. “It helps students express their love for the school, while also wearing costumes. I would make the teachers have spirit days too, because most of them seem kind of dead inside, specifically for only that week.”

Costumes certainly are a trend. From togas to bananas, there is no shortage of interesting choices for clothing as the week progresses.

Gabriel Gomez, Div. 974, shared some of his thoughts on the positive aspects of Spirit Week.

“It benefits students who want to see school as a more comfortable environment,” he said. “It allows for a form of escapism from the monotony of everyday school life, which a lot of people seem to value.”

There is some complaint, however. There are the outliers who seem much less enthusiastic about Spirit Week as a concept. Some see the event as forced, dull, especially when it comes to the choices on what one can do during the week.

According to Delmore Lazar, Div. 963, “Some of the days come up every year — I think it’s boring. They gotta stir the pot a bit more,” Lazar said.

“Twin Day is completely useless and barely anyone even participates,” Gabriel Gomez said.

And as much as it might entertain us, some students don’t see the noise in the halls as all that entertaining.

“Stop shouting and blowing whistles in the hallways,” Gabriel Gomez said. “It’s unnecessary and obnoxious.”

So maybe the school isn’t as accepting of all this ‘nonsense’ as one would be inclined to believe.

There are definitely a number of things about the concept of a Spirit Week that make it an important element of the high school experience. It allows for a sense of community among students, whether they like the idea or not: through that choice itself they have found a community, which is important for an environment as unpredictable as a Chicago high school.

This sense of community, combined with the joy of really feeling like a part of the school, sets students up to have a more positive outlook on the school year going in.

Spirit Week is about showing off the love we have for the school, and how much we can do here from our sports programs, to our extracurriculars, to our classrooms, to the ever changing student body’s ability to show that Lane Tech truly is the best school in Chicago.

• Opinion

Hope crushed by false admirations

• The Importance of Spirit

Opinion

The next wave of voters

• Opinion

Why should you vote?

• The Importance of Spirit

Opinion

The misrepresentation of Native Americans in… America

• The Importance of Spirit

Opinion

Catcalling: Who gave you the right?

• The Importance of Spirit

Opinion

A Journey Revealed Through Photographs

• The Importance of Spirit

Opinion

Changing the conversation: destigmatizing community college

• The Importance of Spirit

Opinion

Respectful speech and actions can inspire unity

• Opinion

Sports knowledge is not male exclusive

• The Importance of Spirit

Opinion

When adopting, keep your heart and mind open

The Importance of Spirit