First day jitters don’t last long

By Sophie Swenson

I can remember my first day of high school like it was yesterday. The sky was clear and the sun was shining as I stepped out of the car and walked toward Lane, my first steps toward “growing up”. Right outside of “O”, security guards yelled for freshman to enter the auditorium, while what seemed to be an endless sea of upperclassmen were waiting to see the fresh meat.

“FRESHMAN!” was spurted, snickered, and sympathetically murmured that morning as I nervously shuffled along. Maybe it’s just because those kinds of social situations scare me out of my mind, but walking alone that morning was probably one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

If I knew what I know now, I wouldn’t have expected myself to instantly become mature or responsible the second I entered high school; I now know that neither I, nor any other student here has reached their full potential, because they have so much more to learn and live through.

Ever since that first day, my time at Lane has been one big blur. A stressful, surreal, blur. When people say time in high school goes by in the blink of an eye, they really mean it. And even though it seems like a blink ago, the change I see in myself from the timid freshman walking to her first day of high school is tremendous. But “growing up” didn’t just magically happen as I walked through the doors of Lane. It happened slowly, subtly, and with some trouble.

As I got deeper into my freshman year, I thought I had the world in my hands. I felt a sort of teenage power never felt before, and I wanted more. But with that power came (not responsibility,) a feeling of superiority that needed to be humbled. I soon realized that I didn’t know everything, that I still had more to learn. I If I hadn’t gotten lost that first day and wandered down the empty hall long after the bell had rung, when would I have learned that there are two fourth floors? If I hadn’t gone out that night, instead of studying for the biology test, which F would scare into managing my time better? If I hadn’t said and done the things I did throughout my years at Lane, and if kindness was never taught to me by others, what kind of person would I be today?

Through mapping out my classes the night before my first day, making time for studying during the weekend, and understanding that I have just as many flaws as the person next to me, I will never forget the morals that molded me into who I am, and who I will never be again.

Making friends, making time for work, and making mistakes is what happens in your four years, and it’s that experience that will set you up for what kind of person you choose to be in the long run.

Because of the choices and mistakes I made, and the ones you are going to make during your years at Lane, the person who walks across that stage will be significantly different from the one who is reading the words right off this page.