The exercise secrets of Lane revealed

By Gabrielle Williams

When walking the halls of Lane, eyes wander up and down the bodies of their peers, some merely checking each other out, some a little more interested than that. But either way fit and athletic bodies tend to be more atheistically pleasing than any other. These select students and teachers have chosen to reveal their diet and work out secrets with The Warrior.

“Staying physically fit is important to me because not only does it keep me healthy, but it also keeps me active,” said Jazmin Carranza, Div. 055.

“I am in a better mood when I work off stress,” said Jenna Wasserman, Div. 153. “When I am comfortable in my body, I am a more confident person.”

A solid work out is hard to find, but these dedicated students gave us an inside look on their exercise routines.

“I try my best to workout on a daily basis and never miss a day. I curl twenty pound dumbbells on each arm in sets of forty and always try to increase the number of sets I do overtime. I do about 140 pushups as well as about 350 sit-ups and crunches,” said Jesse Mexicano, Div. 030.

“Five to seven days [a week] I go for a 45-50 minute run. Then three to four times a week I weight lift (squats, bench, cleans, core, and much more). Every week I go up in weight for the lifts.” said Jalessa Perez, Div. 090. “I don’t really have a set out diet, but I’ve cut out the cookies, ice cream, candy, chips, fast food, sodas, and other things along those lines.”

“I run about four times a week when I am not in season for lacrosse and try to eat as healthy as possible. I am a lot more lenient with my diet on the weekends though,” Wasserman said.

Some people find it hard to keep to the consistent regimen required for a diet or work out. Motivation is key in getting fit and being healthy.

“My motivations are simple. If my body can take it, it’s possible. Get big or go home. Head up, stay up, and live up to it,” said Jairo Chavez, Div. 034.

“My motivation is knowing that there is always someone else working harder than you or who wants it more,” Carranza said.

“My motivation is to kick butt during my track meets and meet goal that I set for myself. When I want to give up or only give 50% I think about how good it will feel when I’m able to run faster and lower my times,” Perez said. “I also think about how much muscle I’m building and how toned I’m getting and then it’s all well worth it.”

But Lane students aren’t alone in these effective work out habits. There are a handful of teachers who exercise just the same.

“I try to exercise outside of school three times a week. I do 35 minutes cardio, strength training, calisthenics, 100 crunches and 50 pushups. I have also been a vegetarian for four years,” said Fitness and Wellness teacher Mrs. Serantoni.

“I eat whatever I want. I try to stay away from foods that are bad for me, but I love French fries. I don’t have many sweets and when I do I try to eat them in moderation,” said Ms. Vale-Suarez Assistant Girls Varsity Soccer Coach. “I play soccer on weekends. I started running over summer and four times a week I do pushups, crunches and squats.”

“I lift weights four times a week. Chest, shoulders and triceps are on Monday and Thursday. Biceps and back are on Tuesday and Friday. Four times a week I will go cycling (bike machine during the winter). I usually try and ride around 40 to 50 miles per ride and maintain a speed of around 18-20 miles per hour,” said History teacher Mr. Lewis.

Everyone has different reasons for wanting to be in shape, sometimes the reasons vary depending on age.

“Being physically fit is good for you mentally and physically,” Cross Country Coach Mrs. Stack said. “You feel better when you are in shape.”

“If I don’t feel fit I can’t perform all the things I do everyday as well,” said Vale-Suarez.

With today’s media showing thin, lean girls and bulky, muscular guys, people can feel pressured to get in shape or to rethink their current fitness routine.

“I’d say a lot has influenced my opinion and work ethic towards fitness,” said Mexicano. “The media always show America being out of shape and that’s not something I want to be a part of. I’ve been around people who were out of shape, including my brother, and I hate the thought of being overweight or out of shape like that.”

“My father was a cross-country coach here at Lane and I ran during high school and enjoy endurance sports,” Lewis said. “Mr. Dongas introduced me to cycling. I do think it is important to try and make it social. It helps me to workout harder when I ride with others.”

“The media has affected all of us whether we want to admit it or not,” said Wasserman. “My mom has always counted calories so I am sure that got me thinking about weight earlier than I should have, but I’d rather be conscious of health facts then cluesslessly be putting bad things into my body.”

There is a wide variety and range of diets and work outs. Some are viewed as unhealthy or severe.

“I think that the 300 Workout is too extreme,” Chaevz said.

The 300 Workout consists of 25 pull ups, 50 dead lifts, 50 push ups, 50 box jumps or vertical jumps (24” high box), 50 floor wipers (push up position, moving in a single knee to the chest at a time), 50 single arm clean and press with dumbbell or kettle bell, and finally 25 more pull ups. All of this is supposed to be excuted with no breaks in between each exercise change.

“I don’t believe in diet,” Serantoni said. “People should learn about nutrition.”

Idolization of “perfect bodies” is often a topic amongst those into exercise and fitness.

“I think a good body looks like a Victoria’s Secret Angel,” Wasserman said.

“For the most part I like my body, but I want to get toner and get six pack abs. I’m close, but not close enough,” said Perez. “My mom tries to lure me into eating junk, but so far I’ve resisted. It’s really hard for me to stay away from ice cream especially.”