Teachers utilize games in lesson plans to help students succeed

By Nader Ihmoud

At Lane, many teachers have come up with unique ways to help students review for upcoming tests and quizzes. Some play educational games such as “jeopardy” or “battle of the sexes.”

Creating a lively classroom environment is essential for every teacher. Many students tend to get distracted easily in class, especially before an upcoming quiz or test. Therefore, teachers create fun activities to help students retain the information they need in order to do well on a quiz or test.

Mrs. Reedy, a history teacher, is one of many teachers at Lane who has created her own game to aid students. She plays a review game with her freshmen. However, it is not a typical review game because every student must be prepared to answer a question at any given moment.

“It’s a review that everyone has to answer, so no one can space out,” said Reedy.

Reedy’s students are seated in rows of four. Each student has to write his or her answers on a sheet of paper. Then, Reedy begins checking the students’ answers. She goes around the class until she finds the student with the right answer. Points are given appropriately.

Many students find these games motivational and helpful on the day of a test.

“When I am taking a test I remember something funny that happened while we were playing the game and it helps me remember the answer to the question,” said Steven Fiumefreddo, Div 053.

However, there are other teachers that play games that are not always just focused on benefiting the students’ test and quiz scores. Some games are played to broaden students’ knowledge about the world.

Mr. Bertenshaw, an English teacher, plays a trivia game with his students on a daily basis.

“Students get to interact in a casual way,” said Bertenshaw.

The game is set up boys vs. girls. Each day, each team gets the opportunity to answer a trivia question. If they get it correct, their team earns one point. The first team to earn 21 points wins the game. The losing team has to buy the winning team donuts. While serving the donuts to the winning team, they must also say, ‘You are much smarter than we are. It is a pleasure to serve you.’

“It builds humor among the students, and with less structure the students ease up a bit,” said Bertenshaw.

Bertenshaw has been playing this game with students for 17 years. However, he has changed things up this year. Instead of playing the game with all his English classes, he has decided to only play it with his division.

Mr. Yadao, another English teacher, plays a game called, “Mr. Yadizzle’s Review Game”. It is based off of the TV game show, Jeopardy.

“Students thrive on competition.The more competition the better,” said Yadao.

Mr. Markese, a math teacher, also plays a review based on Jeopardy. His version is titled, “Math Jeopardy.”

“Every single kid is smiling, attentive, and involved,” said Markese.

The math department’s geometry classes hold a “March Madness” type tournament. The competition is set in a class vs. class format. Each class splits in half, and half of the class switches to another class’s room.

Geometry-related questions are asked and the winners receive bragging rights. The main purpose of the game is to help students prepare for their upcoming geometry tests, and, mainly, finals.

“It helped us review all the concepts we learned in class,” said Daisy Chavez, Div 053. “We had review sheets before the game. We went over everything.”

Mr. Escudier, a history teacher, used to play a review game with his students, but decided to discontinue it.

“It was getting rowdy and test scores were not going up,” said Escudier.

Despite many claims that these games are helpful, some students still do not find them effective.

Joshua Pinto, Div. 040, remembers playing a jeopardy review game in his Trigonometry class. He was not pleased with the results.

“It was not helpful,” said Pinto. “You needed to know the material [to be successful in the game], either you know it or you do not.”

Games are one of the many methods that teachers have begun to employ to increase the success and interest of their students.