Students face difficulties at work

By Vanessa Landa

Crazy customers, flirty employees, and difficult bosses are just some of the horrors students encounter at their after-school jobs.

Angry customers often prove to be the most difficult.

“I worked at a store downtown and at the time, credit cards weren’t accepted. This lady was outraged and freaked out, saying that it was impossible for a downtown establishment not to accept credit. We told her that she would be able to go to the ATM downstairs but she kept refusing. She was so upset and swore she wouldn’t come back,” said Lily Sauceda, Div. 030.

“I work at a Wendy’s and there are always crazy people coming in,” said Daniela Pastrana, Div. 037. “There was this lady that made a big scene, saying that I didn’t give her correct change. I’m positive she gave me a 10 but she kept saying that she gave me a 20. My manager came and told me to give her what she wanted. At the end of the day, when it was time to count the money, it turned out that I was $10 short.”

Some unpleasant encounters at least make for humorous stories afterward.

“I work at Jewel-Osco and one day, a lady came up to me and I heard her asking me where the razors are,” said an anonymous student, Div.181. “I took her to where they were and she gave me a weird look. The lady said that she had said raisins, not razors. She then ended up getting mad at me and told me that I needed to clean my ears.”

Customers are not the only problem people to deal with at work. Sometimes coworkers can create even worse situations.

“I just got into work ready to clock in and one of my coworkers came up to me and kissed me,” said an anonymous student, Div. 031. “When he kissed me I felt embarrassed, and other employees that saw [us] thought it was funny. He said he was on a mission to kiss me and now always comments that I have soft lips.”

When a difficult situation comes up at work, staying calm is the key. But if one is constantly mistreated, it is time to move on.

“I used to work at a shoe store and the manager sometimes asked me if I would be able to stay for a while longer after my shift. I would say yes,” said Veronica Garcia, Div. 180. “She sometimes left me alone [for] hours and when she came back, she gave me excuses for why she did. I got aggravated and asked her if she would pay me overtime. She refused and then I quit.”

For some people, quitting was not an option.

“My job was on the line and I couldn’t flip out on the lady who didn’t want to go to the ATM machine,” said Sauceda.

“When people are being difficult with you, you just got to hang in there,” said Charles Marschke, Div. 043. “Those giving you a hard time shouldn’t be a reason for you to quit your job.”

Some students have learned that in the business world, the customer’s needs are what is most important.

“When I saw that I was $10 short, I told my manager,” said Pastrana. “He said that it was fine because if we don’t please our customers, they can call the company headquarters and the whole restaurant will get in trouble.”

“When you work, you need to set a good example for the other employees,” said Sauceda. “Take things as lightly as you can and when a disagreement arises, come to a compromise.”