Glee club debuts at Lane

Back to Article
Back to Article

Glee club debuts at Lane

By Sadeta Causevic

You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen. But do you recall the most famous reindeer of all? Sophie Swenson, Div. 252, does, as she sings out “Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer!” at a meeting of Lane’s new Glee Club.

Based on FOX’s new hit TV show Glee, Lane’s Glee Club is basically a show choir that incorporates singing, dancing, and instrumentals.

“Once I saw Glee on TV, I knew I wanted to be in something like it,” said club President Elyssa Ronda, Div. 356.

Ronda’s love for the show and her own history in the performing arts inspired her to create the club. She has sung in choirs since she was nine, taken dance classes for two years, acted in three plays, played the piano for over three years, and is currently a member of the Lane Chorus.

Forty students auditioned for Glee Club and 28 were chosen for the club by judges, Ronda and the club’s vice-president, Sana Rizvi, Div. 356. According to some students, the auditions were nerve-wracking.

“I sang my little heart out to Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb,” said Carmen Rivera, Div. 028. “What was tough was that they made me sing it in different pitches to see how good my voice technique is.”

Rizvi said that the purpose behind asking auditioners to switch songs or pitches was to see if they could hit high notes and to hear their full potential as singers.

When the results were announced, students were overjoyed when they saw their names written on the poster of those who were accepted.

“I did make Glee Club and I was beyond excited when I found out,” said Mary Maroney, Div. 153. “I sang I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor because it is a classic song that I know I sing well.”

“I was pretty thrilled to make it in,” said Swenson who says Glee club has helped her develop her confidence as a singer. “I’m a big singer in the shower, but I’m hoping to take my singing out of the bathroom. I thought Glee would be a good choice because it seems more laid back than choir. I sang for some time in the Chicago Children’s Choir, but other than that it’s been mainly summer camp musicals and Taylor Swift in the car. Honestly, I don’t think of myself as much of a singer but this is making me re-think the opinion of myself,” said Swenson.

“I hope this can be good way for me to become more outgoing and learn to perform in front of an audience,” said Jeisson Apolo, Div. 177. “Most jobs involve talking to people and persuading them in some way, and that requires a lot of charisma, which I really think this club will help me acquire.”

Members in the club also play instruments, such as clarinets, violins, ukuleles, pianos, and guitars.

Cynthia Perez, Div. 165, plays the clarinet in the Lane Concert and Marching Band. She auditioned for Glee in order to express her love for music.

“I’m hoping this club will bring something new to this school,” Perez said.

Some auditions, however, did not go as well. Jospeh Goldberg, Div. 048, is a current Chorus student. He thought that the Glee Club auditions would be similar to those for Chorus but found out otherwise.

“For chorus all we had to do was sing the scales a few times and he was able to tell if we could handle taking chorus. I sang O Holy Night, then they wanted me to sing more so I started looking through her iPod and started singing Love Story by Taylor Swift, but I didn’t know all the lyrics. Then I sang How to Save a Life by The Fray and I messed up a little because I was not very familiar with the song. I was kind of upset. I feel as if they didn’t make it very clear what they wanted during tryouts. Had I known that they wanted me to sing as much as I did, I would have prepared,” said Goldberg.

To many students, one attractive quality of Lane’s Glee Club is its diversity. One such student is Lauren McClellan, Div. 049, an African-American student who made the Glee Club.

She compares herself to “the black girl” on the show, but believes she has more to offer than her.

“The black girl on the show only sings “black songs” and I am glad that our club is not singing songs based only on culture, religion, or race,” she said.

According to Ronda, one of the main goals of Glee Club is to perform for the holidays for orphans at the Lydia Home Association. They will sing songs from the Glee soundtrack, such as Imagine, Lean On Me, and Somebody to Love.

“We don’t know the exact day but we just wanted to do something nice for the less fortunate. The spirited songs that we were thinking about are: Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Let it Snow,” said Ronda.