Music helps some concentrate in class

By Angela Kuqo

Walk into a classroom and usually you will hear the scribbling of pens, lecturing, students yelling out answers and in some classrooms, music.

Occasionally music is used in classrooms to help students memorize important names and dates. But some teachers use music to motivate, inspire, or help their students to focus.

Ceramics teacher, Mrs. Arter often plays music during class and some students, such as Javier Reyes, Div. 385, find it helpful.

“The music helps me concentrate on what I’m doing and sometimes inspires me,” said Reyes. “[Mrs. Arter] plays music to relax us so we aren’t stressed while working on our pieces.”

Most students, however, find that music really helps them focus. One student, Ryan Lutzow, Div. 473, agrees that the music in his Multimedia Art class helps him focus on his projects for more than one reason.

“It makes the class a little more entertaining, more fun. It’s kind of an atmosphere that I can work in better than a quiet classroom,” said Lutzow.

Even students in academic classes find that music helps them concentrate. Mia Isberto, Div. 364, has Mr. Spidel for Triginometry, who sometimes plays music while students are taking tests.

“I find that it really helps me focus,” said Isberto. “There are usually a lot of distractions with people making noise in the hallway and outside, and the music sort of drowns that out.”

Most teachers have several motivations for playing music in class. Mr. Ara, who teaches Multimedia Art, plays music in class everyday to help students get motivated and as a reinforcement of sorts.

“I think it gives class a certain mood,” said Ara. “If they’ve been doing their work I’ll play stuff I know they will enjoy. But if they’re not, I’ll play some depressing classical just to make sure no one is talking and everyone is working.”

In P.E classes, the music helps get students energized and motivated to exercise. Mykia Merchand, Div. 372, also thinks that it adds to the atmosphere.

“It makes for a happy environment and gets everyone pumped. We would all probably be slouching around if it wasn’t for the music,” said Merchant.

There are students however who find the music distracting rather than helpful. April Pitre, Div. 377, found more than once distraction when her teacher played a song that students were familiar with.

“It distracted me because I was focused on the lyrics,” said Pitre. “Someone next to me even started singing along, which didn’t help.”

“I wouldn’t complain about it to the teacher, but I do find it distracting when I’m trying to read and process the material,” Hesham Rostami, Div. 360, agreed.

Music in the classroom, whether it fun and rewarding, or depressing and punishing, creates a memorable experience.