Intimidation, fear of rejection keep students from applying to top colleges

By Airis Cervantes

As acceptance letters come through the mail and students faces glow with excitement, no person would ever guess that there is a doubt in their mind. Recieving acceptance letter after acceptance letter only questions some students to ponder on the “what if.” What if I hadnt been so lazy? What if I had applied to my dream school? What if I had the chance of attending there?

Some seniors at Lane contemplate what schools they would be deciding between if they had applied to their dream school. They regret not having the confidence to apply to more competitive schools, afraid they would be rejected and their hopes crushed in the process.

Having gotten accepted to all the schools she applied to Amanda Sturgill, Div. 271 wishes she would have applied to University of Wisconsin-Madison. Sturgill was not told by family or friends that she would not get into UW-Madison, but she discouraged herself from applying when she compared herself to other students at Lane.

“Richard Tran Div. 280, went out for the biggest schools! He has something to write about and I don’t,” said Strugill.

Tran is devoted to his community organization, has volunteered in a foreign country, all while maintaing an exceptional GPA and participating in extracurricular activities.

“How can I compete with that?” said Sturgill.

Sturgill does not consider herself “amazing” and says that she has not had difficulties in her life.

Sturgill also admits that she did not apply to any of the California schools that she initially wanted to attend.

“ My mom told me she didn’t think I would get in,” said Sturgill.

However Sturgill’s friend tried to convince her to apply to California schools, but the fear of rejection and senioritis kicked in.

Nancy Miguel, Div. 271 also regrets not applying to Stanford, the school of her dreams.

“I had the individual ability to rise above, but I didn’t take the risk. That’s going to be one of my high school regrets,” said Miguel.

Miguel has not recieved responses from all the schools she has applied to, but she expects to get accepted into all of them. Miguel agrees that when you start comparing yourself to other people it brings down your confidence.

“I discouraged myself. I didn’t think I was what they were looking for. I considered myself average,” said Miguel.

Even if Miguel had applied and been accepted to Stanford, her financial state would be questionable. Not knowing how much money a school was going to give her made her realize that maybe it was not worth applying.

“It’s heartbreaking to think you could’ve gone somewhere, but you cant. It’s defeating,” said Miguel.

Psychotherapist F. Diane Barth believes that the first step to take is to accept those feelings and understand that they are reasonable even if they are not accurate. Many students take college rejection letters personally even though for 50 American colleges they reject more than they accept.

“It’s like all those late nights, all those after school activities that I was in, it wasn’t enough to get in. It hurts,” said Graciela Ascencio, Div. 262.

Ascencio has also been accepted to all the schools she has applied to and now realizes that she should have applied to her reach school, Marquette University.

“If you didn’t get at least one rejection letter, it means you didn’t apply to high enough schools and that you were selling yourself short,” said Ascencio.

Although her family encouraged her, Ascencio thought the college application process was very stressful and she discouraged herself when she compared herself to other students.

“It made me feel like if they are so intelligent and they’re only applying to UIC and safety schools, then why would I be encouraged to apply to really far out schools?” said Ascencio.

“I knew a lot of smart kids that got rejected, so I was like, why should I waste my time?” said Jakub Ogara, Div. 264.

According to Ogara, students should set college standards, therefore he, “accepted rejection before it even happened”. For Ogara its not about the grades, but it’s about doing better than other people.

Patricia Mota, Div. 283 has also been accepted to all the colleges she has applied to thus far but regrets not applying to some of her top colleges.

“I would’ve applied to Boston College but I was too afraid of getting rejected,” said Mota.

Mota does not think that she could have handled a rejection letter, it would’ve hurt her ego.

“I dont like other people saying I’m incompetent or I’m not good enough,” said Mota

Rejection letters can leave a mark on a person’s ego, but according to F. Diane Barth, rejection can lead to creativity, personal strength and a growing capacity for problem solving. Closed doors can open many unexpected opportunities. They can take us places where we didn’t even know we wanted to go and in the end we end up exactly where we want to be.