New broadcast provides challenging, rewarding experience

By Julie Dimas

As summer was coming to a close, the new Lane broadcast production team was busy interviewing students, learning how to properly work a camera, and how to edit footage.

These were just some of the many things students had to learn in order to prepare for this year’s new television news program, which is broadcast during division. The program was Dr. LoBosco’s idea.

“We thought it would be a good opportunity to use the system that we already had to increase communication and restart the [television] program by training some kids to do broadcast,” she said. “We also thought it would give [students] a little more input into what’s going on, since students are reporting the news to [the school].”

While many students were pleasantly surprised to find a new television in their classrooms, some felt left out because their division room did not have a television, or had one that was not working properly. LoBosco, however, said that a solution is in the works.

“We did an inventory this summer of all the classrooms, and televisions were ordered for rooms that didn’t have one. There were errors where we put tvs in rooms that were not division rooms, so we were short. So the kids in Driver’s Ed. and the gym [were moved] into rooms that have televisions. Eventually we’re going to buy televisions for all the classrooms, and we are working on it.”

Regardless of technical difficulties, the students in the eighth period broadcast production class continue to work hard.

Mr.Yadao, English teacher and producer of the new television broadcast, explained the many obstacles that the broadcast students have to overcome.

“The first taping that we had took about an hour and a half to two hours. It typically should [have] taken about forty five minutes to an hour at the most,” he said.

Another problem that the production team is faced with is lack of equipment, especially the lack of a teleprompter.

“[Initially] students had to memorize their lines. They would constantly make mistakes because memorizing and also looking at the camera [presents] a lot of challenges…, so it takes some time,” Yadao said.

Despite the many obstacles that students have to face, many still enjoy the benefits of the class.

“If you have a camera in your hands, they will let you go anywhere, no questions asked,” said camera operator Arlene Torres, Div. 023.

Nevertheless, students in the broadcast production team also acknowledge the fact that the class was more challenging than what they expected.

“I expected this class to be fun and [involve] a lot of fun experiences, [such as] recording people, meeting new people around the school, [and] interviewing them. It is that. What I didn’t expect from it was that …you also have to be on top of your work. You have to have your stuff in on time, [and] you have to have everything edited and filmed on time so that it goes on air,” Torres said.

“[One disadvantage is that] we have to stay long hours. I remember one time I stayed until 5:00,” said editor Ofelia Pineda, Div. 162.

“A lot of our footage isn’t being shot until after eighth period so we don’t get the video until 4:00. Getting precise cuts and getting the right shots [for] three minutes of video turns into four hours of work,” said editing teacher, Mr. Liam O’ Donnell.

Both teacher and students, however, say that the struggles are half the fun.

“There’s a lot of bloopers and I think it [promotes] camaraderie,” Yadao said. “We have the opportunity to see everyone’s faults and everyone’s talents at the same time. A lot of students and teachers don’t really get an opportunity to see that in a classroom. When we see those bloopers, it kind of brings out the human side to us that definitely leads to enjoyment, fun, and cameraderie,”

“You meet new people and you create a bond,” said camera operator Erick Perez, Div. 023. “In a normal class you don’t know people like you know them here. You get to hang out with people in a way.”

“I feel like I’m more involved,” said writer/reporter Hana Rickert, Div. 047. “The year before I was just going along with basic information. I feel like now I’m learning more about the things that I actually want to do someday.”

“I enjoy seeing everyone’s reaction when I walk through the hallways and see people glued to the T.V. set,” Yadao said. “Not because they are watching something that is violent or sexual on tv, but because they are viewing something that is a product of the Lane Tech community. The greatest reward is seeing people enjoy being a part of the school and an institution that really enhances their skills and promotes school spirit and school unity.”