Hanly victim to her own demerit system

By Casey Bridge

Assistant Principal Sarah Hanly is no longer working at Lane Tech after receiving more than 15 demerits this semester. After instilling the new demerit system last year, Hanly herself made it clear that any student who exceeds a certain amount of demerits will have privileges taken away. Some of the consequences to the large number of demerits are serving an in school lunch, a saturday academy, or in Hanly’s case, removal from her position as vice principal.
No one could have predicted that her own rule would be her downfall. After hearing the news, Hanly desperately tried to appeal to Principal Anderson, but with no luck. The demerits were reportedly accumulated after Hanly was seen repeatedly using her phone in the hallway without an ID, and coming in late from lunch at Chipotle.
Anderson will miss her colleague and friend but stands by the “no exception” policy to the rule.
“It is a real wake up call,” Anderson said, who herself has 12 demerits, dangerously close to the 15 limit. “I’m making sure I turn in 5 pairs of jeans this month to get them reduced.”
The position is now open, and interviews are being held throughout the week. Security guard Eddie Lopez is a rumored frontrunner at the moment due to his consistency for wearing his ID and always being on time. When asked to comment on the unfortunate and surprising turn of events, Hanly simply said “no one is safe” before being escorted out of the building.